Given the rising number of crimes and attacks happening all over the world, it is only right that every homeowner wants to take the best possible measures to secure his or her home.
The good news is many technological advancements have led to the emergence of top-class home security cameras that give you a complete idea of what’s going on inside and in the immediate vicinity of your house at any point in time. In fact, you can monitor the security around your home, even if you’re working or travelling.
This usefulness of home security cameras has made them an essential part of your house today. Many manufacturers are coming with their own versions of security cameras that give you complete control over your surroundings. Out of these many manufacturers, Blink and Arlo are the two of the most popular ones.
Both of these companies specialize in manufacturing excellent cameras that incorporate the latest technologies and design. The durability and usefulness of these home security cameras have created a large customer base as well.
In this post, we will pick one popular model from each of these two companies and compare them to see how they fare against each other. Specifically, we will be comparing the features, design and functionality of Blink XT and Arlo Pro 2.
Table of Contets
- 1 Blink XT vs Arlo Pro 2: Pros & Cons and Verdict
- 1.1 1. Setup
- 1.2 2. Design
- 1.3 3. Features
- 1.4 4. Performance
- 1.5 5. Mobile Application
- 1.6 6. Blink XT vs Arlo Pro 2: Pros and Cons
- 1.7 Blink XT vs Arlo Pro 2: Verdict
Both Blink XT and Arlo Pro 2 are popular models that are being used by many homeowners. Let’s compare these two cameras on different parameters to help you decide which of these is better for your home.
We will start with the most basic of all tasks, setup. How easy or difficult is it to set up both these cameras?
The good news is setting up both these cameras is fairly simple and straightforward, and takes only a few minutes to complete.
The setup process of Blink XT is divided into three tasks, and they are:
- Download the Blink mobile app – The first step is to download the Blink mobile app that’s called the Blink Home Monitor. Once you download, create an account with a valid email ID and verify your email.
- Set up the sync module – The next step is to set up the sync module. To do this, log into the app with your credentials and you’ll see a button called sync module. Click on it and you’ll be asked to scan the QR code on the product box. Then, plug in your device and wait for a steady green and blinking blue light to turn on. Next, connect to the Wi-Fi and create a password for it. With that, your sync module is all set up.
- Add the camera – Finally, you’ll be prompted to add the security camera. Enter the serial number associated with it, and you’re all set to use this device.
If you get stuck somewhere in the middle of the process, refer the manual that comes with the product. It is fairly elaborate and simple to read and understand. If you still have any queries or concerns, you can always get in touch with the customer support team at Blink and they can guide you through the process.
Arlo Pro 2
Arlo Pro 2 is probably the easiest camera to set up. It takes only a few minutes and the chances to get confused is very less.
The steps to set up are as follows.
- Connect your base station to the router using the given cable.
- Connect the power adapter and turn the base station on.
- Download the Arlo app on your mobile device. You can even go to the website directly if you’re using a computer.
- Open the rear side of the camera and insert the given batteries. Make sure to put them in the correct polarity.
- Create a new account. Click on new system and this will list the available Arlo devices. Choose the base station and enter your serial number. Follow the setup process prompted by the app to complete your account setup.
- Sync your cameras, one at a time. When you’re syncing for the first time, bring them close to the base station. press the sync button on the base station, wait for a few minutes and press the sync button on your camera. Once the lights stop blinking, the syncing process is complete.
- Take your camera and mount them wherever you want.
The entire process takes only about ten minutes and doesn’t require any technical knowledge.
It also comes with a manual and if you run into problems, contact the support team.
In this aspect, both Blink XT and Arlo Pro 2 are winners because they make it really easy for you to set up the cameras. Everything can be done in about ten minutes and can be done by almost any person.
The design is an important aspect of any product because it has to be aesthetically appealing and should go well with your decor. You definitely don’t want the home security camera to be a sore point in your overall home decor. This is why companies are putting considerable effort into coming up with a simple and appealing design.
In addition, the design should help to make the camera more functional. For example, you would like to have the flexibility to place your camera on a flat surface or mount it up on the wall. The design should facilitate this flexibility for you.
Blink XT has an interesting design that would appeal to practically every homeowner. The design is simple and minimalistic. It is a rectangular box with the lens on the front side, and the entire camera is black in colour. Nothing dramatic, but yet very appealing. It looks nice inside the home as well as on the outer walls. In fact, this camera greatly increases the look of your property as a whole.
The dimensions for this camera are 3.23 X 8.98 X9.06 inches. It weighs only around two pounds. This compact design makes it easy to fit into any place of your choice.
Arlo Pro 2
Arlo Pro 2 is one of the most beautiful security cameras available today. The dimensions of this camera are 2.8 X 1.9 X 3.1 inches and weigh about one pound. it is white in colour and the front part including the lens is black. This combination of black and white greatly enhances its looks.
It is stylish, modern and at the same time, highly functional as well. Not to mention, that this combination of black and white fits well into any decor.
The winner – depends on your preferences and decor. For some people, the smaller size of Arlo pro 2 when compared to Blink XT is more appealing and they find it convenient to keep it anywhere. For others, Blink XT is minimalist and neat. So, the winner depends on your personal preferences.
The feature set is probably the most important part of any security camera, as it can help you decide which of the two is right for you.
Let’s look at the features of both the cameras.
The important features of Blink XT are as follows:
- 100% wire-free, so you have the flexibility to place it anywhere you want
- There are no data storage charges or subscription fees associated with it
- It offers about 100 meters range from the hub
- You can connect up to 10 cameras on the same sync module
- Integrated with Amazon Alexa
- Comes with infrared night vision to monitor your home at night. This is a particularly important feature as a lot of action tends to happen only at night as intruders have the cover of darkness
- It is compatible with IFTTT
- Provides good quality 720p HD video
- Sends instant alerts
- Works well in low light illumination as well
- Weatherproof, so you can use it in any weather condition outside
- Comes a 110-degree field view to capture movements that happen around the camera’s location
- It’s operating temperature ranges from minus four degrees to 113 degrees Fahrenheit
- The battery life comes for a minimum of two years and can be used up to five years
- Provides one-way audio access
- Record for a period of 60 seconds after a motion is detected
- Allows you to store video for up to two hours
- There are no special abilities such as zoom
- You cannot arm or disarm this device remotely
- The “Sync mode” ensures that security cameras will work even when the Internet is down or in the event of a power failure as well
These features sure make Blink XT a useful camera to enhance your home security.
Arlo Pro 2
Arlo Pro 2 comes with an impressive set of features as well.
- It uses a rechargeable battery, so it is completely wire-free
- It can be charged with a power outlet too
- It can record continuous video 24/7 provided the camera is connected to a power outlet. Also, this continuous recording requires a subscription to the cloud, where the videos are stored
- You can set activity zones, so the camera will monitor only those areas. These activity zones are typically the places where most activity happens like for example, your front door. The obvious advantage is it can give you a better idea of what’s happening around your house. For this feature too, the camera should be connected to a power outlet
- Arlo Pro 2 is weatherproof and can withstand extreme weather conditions. It has IP65 certification for weather
- Its 1080p HD allows you to see everything clearly, particularly the intruder’s face. This is a unique feature that is probably not available in the other models as yet
- You can get instant notifications sent to your phone or email in case of any motion and sound detection. You can even set thresholds to avoid frequent alarms
- Another distinguishing feature of this model is its two-way audio, where you can listen and talk through the camera from your smartphone
- Comes with night vision that automatically turns on in low light, so images are clear even when the surroundings are dark
- You can keep rolling seven days of motion and sound triggered recordings for free in the cloud storage.
- It also supports local backup, where the recordings can be copied to a USB drive
- Comes with a smart security siren that can send a 100-decibel alarm. But it can be controlled from anywhere.
- Works well with smart home systems such as Amazon’s Alexa, IFTTT, Samsung’s SmartThings and Stringify
- Has a 130 degree viewing angle to ensure that no movement slips through
When you compare the feature sets of these two products, it is clear that Arlo Pro 2 is better. In fact, this camera comes with many advanced technologies that can be handy in identifying an intruder. In addition, the continuous recording feature can be greatly helpful for analyzing past events.
Though Blink XT is a good camera that comes with a good set of features, it pales in comparison to the features of Arlo Pro 2, especially the more advanced ones.
In this category, the clear winner in Arlo Pro 2.
Features are just one side of the coin. How well they perform in different situations is a whole new ball game altogether.
This is why both the cameras were tested for their performance. They were placed under different weather conditions and in different locations to see how they fared.
Overall, the performance of both the cameras was good and they lived up to the expectation of their features.
Blink XT did well at night, as it was able to display images that were up to 20 feet away. The recording was also sharp, as the 720p provided clear images. Since video quality is an important aspect of security cameras, Blink XT scored well on this front. Night vision quality was great as well.
An important aspect is the alarms. Every time, Blink XT detected a movement, it sent an alarm to your phone. If you’re wondering about the effectiveness of these alarms, there are options to control the sensitivity levels, so you will not be flooded with false alarms.
The other aspect is the battery life. Though the manufacturer claims that the battery life will last two years, there’s a caveat that comes with it. This battery will last only if the cameras are kept in “sync mode” indoors, close to the base station.
In terms of recording, Blink XT will not record continuously. Like most models on the market today, it will start recording only if it detects motion and this recording will also last only for a couple of minutes. The idea is to just record what or who caused the motion and not the entire video. This approach does make sense, as most of the times, there tends to be no movement.
Users get only about 7,200 seconds worth of footage and the old clips are removed to make way for new ones. The only way to save them is to download these videos to your smartphone. Unfortunately, you can’t share the live link with others, only the downloaded videos.
There are a few aspects where Blink XT did not score well. The first is you have to arm and disarm manually. Though it comes with a schedule feature to arm and disarm, it is not as convenient as having the ability to control this aspect remotely. Other crucial aspects that were missing were the two-way audio and smart motion detection features. The latter feature is particularly important to know what or who triggered the motion.
Arlo Pro 2
Arlo Pro 2 had an amazing performance. The video quality is top-class and the details were crisp and clear in both live feeds and recorded audio. The fact that you can enjoy free cloud storage is an added bonus, as all the files will get saved automatically in the cloud and you can access them at any time.
Night videos were also surprisingly clear and detailed. This is a definite bonus, as much of the action happens when it is dark.
The 130-degree angle is quite narrow when compared to many other products, but it didn’t have much impact in monitoring the outdoor or indoor areas.
One of the high points of Arlo Pro 2 is the two-way audio system, where you can listen and speak through your smartphone. This way, any intruder is sure to get alarmed when you talk to them through your smartphone!
Another useful aspect is the Wi-Fi coverage. It extends beyond 200 feet and worked well until about 220 feet. This is quite amazing for a camera of that size.
Which is better in terms of performance? Arlo Pro 2 again because its advanced features and detailed images were far better than Blink XT.
5. Mobile Application
Mobile apps are important for both the products as this is the best way to manage and control your cameras.
The mobile apps of both the cameras have an aesthetic appeal. They are user-friendly and navigation is easy. You can see the latest video clips, control the camera and do so much more through these apps.
Since both the apps are well-developed and intuitive, both the products are winners in this category.
Here is a look at the pros of Blink XT:
- No additional fees by way of storage charges or subscription
- 100 feet range from the hub
- 10 cameras can be connected on the same sync module
- Wireless design for greater flexibility
- Easy setup
- Aesthetic design
- Infrared night voice
- Alexa integration
The shortcomings in Blink XT are:
- Records motion only for 60 seconds
- On-demand recording is not available
- Streams only 30-second increments
- No zoom, pan or tilt
- Cannot add multiple users to the same account
- No arming or disarming capabilities
- Only two hours of storage is allowed
Arlo Pro 2 Pros:
The pros of Arlo Pro 2 include:
- Comes with 1080p HD for the best resolution and clarity
- Recharging is easy, as you can plug it directly to an electric socket
- Provides a two-way audio to talk and listen, and this is the biggest selling point of Arlo Pro 2
- Excellent night vision as well
- You can set activity zones to get the alerts you want
Arlo Pro 2 Cons:
Arlo Pro 2 comes with a few drawbacks as well. They are:
- Advanced features like continuous video recording are available only when you plug into the electric socket
- Recording videos continuously is not required always
- You may have to replace batteries more often
Though both the cameras are good, Arlo Pro 2 comes with slightly more advanced features. While there is not much difference in terms of design, mobile application and setup, there is a considerable difference in the feature set and the performance that comes with it.
This is why Arlo Pro 2 is the winner. Having better performance capabilities and features, Arlo’s newest release, Pro 2 upper hands the Blink XT security camera.
|Security Camera||Blink XT Security Camera||Arlo Pro 2 Security Camera|